TV Ratings 2024

It's better than Big Brother managed in that slot. And I suspect Fortune Hotel won't do better, either.

I think it's petty clear that ITV are struggling with that timeslot.

Yes, I think Fortune Hotel is flopping pretty hard. I read somewhere about 2 million for the debut episode in the overnights. It’s really quite good as well.

Mr L hasn't watched Doctor Who yet. He isn't purposely waiting to watch the whole thing, he just isn't prioritising it.

My worry about the BBC potentially thinking people may wait until it's all available to binge is that if it's perceived as a failure, people may be inclined not to bother taking it on when there's always something else to watch.

And the discourse I've seen online is erring on the side of negative - the episode this week (which had nearly 600k fewer figures in the overnights than the launch) being reported as the lowest episode in the franchise. It's very likely to end up there as well, unless catch up improves significantly on week one.

The 7 day data surprised me actually. It was the #3 show of the week on that metric alone, about 40% behind Race Across The World, and then narrowly behind Britain's Got Talent as well.

Last edited:
By % share, Eurovision even more easily won the week, with 54%. BGT had 34%. Doctor Who 30.5%.

I guess this is a good place for this question:

Is there some sort of site or a service where you type in the name of a film or TV show and it comes up with ways of watching it? I.e. Netflix, iPlayer, you can purchase it from xyz site... That sort of thing.

Googling isn't that fool-proof as you have either out of date or American information. I can normally work it out with a bit of sleuthing but I'd rather something SNAPPY because I'm a VERY BUSY WOMAN.

It may also help determine any subscriptions I may like to take out/cancel. I'd much rather have a reason to have something instead of paying monthly for Netflix just to glibly scroll through it every now and then.

I guess this is a good place for this question:

Is there some sort of site or a service where you type in the name of a film or TV show and it comes up with ways of watching it? I.e. Netflix, iPlayer, you can purchase it from xyz site... That sort of thing.

Googling isn't that fool-proof as you have either out of date or American information. I can normally work it out with a bit of sleuthing but I'd rather something SNAPPY because I'm a VERY BUSY WOMAN.

It may also help determine any subscriptions I may like to take out/cancel. I'd much rather have a reason to have something instead of paying monthly for Netflix just to glibly scroll through it every now and then.

I haven't used it for ages but I have the JustWatch app on my phone:

https://www.justwatch.com/

May 13 - 19

01 Red Eye 6.661m
02 Race Across The World 5.571m
03 Britain's Got Talent 5.501m
04 The 1% Club 4.425m
05 Blue Lights 4.328m
06 Coronation Street 4.298m
07 Emmerdale 3.773m
08 EastEnders 3.681m
09 Doctor Who 3.578m
10 Antiques Roadshow 3.509m
11 Have I Got News For You 3.491m
12 Gogglebox 3.397m
13 Bridgerton 3.345m
14 Countryfile 3.167m
15 BBC News at Six 3.092m
16 Masterchef 3.080m
17 Rebus 2.984m
18 Casualty 2.718m
19 The Repair Shop 2.664m
20 The Responder 2.490m

May 13 - 19

01 Red Eye 6.661m
02 Race Across The World 5.571m
03 Britain's Got Talent 5.501m
04 The 1% Club 4.425m
05 Blue Lights 4.328m
06 Coronation Street 4.298m
07 Emmerdale 3.773m
08 EastEnders 3.681m
09 Doctor Who 3.578m
10 Antiques Roadshow 3.509m
11 Have I Got News For You 3.491m
12 Gogglebox 3.397m
13 Bridgerton 3.345m
14 Countryfile 3.167m
15 BBC News at Six 3.092m
16 Masterchef 3.080m
17 Rebus 2.984m
18 Casualty 2.718m
19 The Repair Shop 2.664m
20 The Responder 2.490m

The Fortune Hotel got below 2.49m?

OUCH!

What have the ratings been like for The Fortune Hotel?
The first episode got 2.262m, confirmed. If you apply the same multiscreen uplift to the shows which didn't appear on the BARB chart (but did on Thinkbox), I'd estimate an average of 2.017m for the four episodes in the first week.

I'll be interested to see the Doctor Who ratings next week - 73 Yards got the highest overnight rating of the series (although, I hasten to add, only by 0.02 million viewers), but this one certainly feels like the first episode that has really got the fandom talking. I've easily seen more social media posts about it than the rest of the series combined.

Race Across the World, the BBC’s hugely successful and much-loved BAFTA-award winning series which reaches its heart-stopping finale tonight, has achieved an incredible 28-day consolidated figure of 7.1million for episode one and an equally high figure of 7.1million for episode two.

This makes Studio Lambert’s original format the biggest BBC Factual title of the year to date. It is up almost 1million on last year’s launch show with over 3m / 44% viewing the show on BBC iPlayer, making it the 5th biggest show on iPlayer so far this year*.

The series has also proved a hit with young audiences with figures for 16-34 year olds averaging 1.1m across the first two episodes, with a with a huge 66% of viewing on BBC iPlayer.

BBC Commissioning Editor Michael Jochnowitz says: “I’m thrilled that this series has resonated with audiences to such an extraordinary extent, and performed so well on iPlayer. RATW’s audience has always been very special and very loyal and it’s incredible to see its numbers soar to such new heights.”

Tim Harcourt, Chief Creative Officer at Studio Lambert adds: “We are very excited that Race Across The World has reached this amount of viewers. It is testament to the hard work of all the teams that put the series together. It’s a gigantic feat to plan a show of this scale; from the casting team, the filming teams on the ground, the editors, production management and everyone else that has made this fourth season so incredible – we can’t wait for people to see the final episode.”

This year audiences have been captivated by the five intrepid duos as they have battled it out in a breath-taking 15,000 kilometre race across several countries in Eastern Asia.

In tonight’s final episode viewers will find out which couple emerges victorious and claims the cash prize of £20,000.

Studio Lambert, part of All3Media, recently won a BAFTA in the Factual Entertainment category for its sister show, Celebrity Race Across the World.

Race Across the World, BBC One, Wednesday, May 29, 9pm

The Reunion, BBC One, Wednesday, May 29, 10.40pm

*based on BARB 4-Screens Average Audience across 28 Days, only highest occurrence of titles counted

BGT got 5.2 million for the final in the overnights which is down slightly on last years 5.3 million who watched the final. I think the winner may well be my favourite EVER.

I skimmed through the final, and it seemed OK. There was a bit of variety, at least.

Did I read somewhere that next year, the plan is for the semi-finals to be shown weekly rather than the whole lot being condensed into 5 days? I think that might be preferable. Also, the magician who finished as runner-up seemed massively overrated. The actual magic bit of his performance was terrific, but the comedic stuff around a mind-reading, truth-telling helmet felt very stilted.

Whoever was pressing the button for the light really needed to be on the ball far more than they were.

It was Sydnie or nothing for me so watched her final performance on YouTube. I had no interest in the rest of them to be honest.

I skimmed through the final, and it seemed OK. There was a bit of variety, at least.

Did I read somewhere that next year, the plan is for the semi-finals to be shown weekly rather than the whole lot being condensed into 5 days? I think that might be preferable. Also, the magician who finished as runner-up seemed massively overrated. The actual magic bit of his performance was terrific, but the comedic stuff around a mind-reading, truth-telling helmet felt very stilted.
I hope not, that would kill the momentum it has doing it over 1 week.

The magician was rather underwhelming, but it was a good payoff.

My top 5 were in no order:
Sydnie
Trixie
Northants Sings Out
Ssaulabi Performance Group
Innocent Masuku

May 20 - 26

01 Red Eye 6.869m
02 Race Across The World 5.550m
03 Britain's Got Talent 5.297m
04 The 1% Club 4.955m
05 The Great British Sewing Bee 4.811m
06 Blue Lights 4.617m
07 Coronation Street 4.423m
08 Have I Got News For You 4.134m
09 Doctor Who 4.058m
10 Emmerdale 3.889m
11 The FA Cup Final 3.815m
12 EastEnders 3.798m
13 Countryfile 3.521m
14 Antiques Roadshow 3.482m
15 Gogglebox 3.397m
16 Masterchef 3.345m
17 BBC News at Six 3.190m
18 Casualty 3.060m
19 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 2.708m
20 BBC Weekend News 2.640m

Interestingly, Coronation Street drew more viewers on catch up than EastEnders. I'm not sure if that's the first time or not, but I'm sure the last time I looked some months ago, EastEnders comfortably outperformed it.

Coronation Street 0.881m
EastEnders 0.782m
Emmerdale 0.485k

Interestingly, Coronation Street drew more viewers on catch up than EastEnders. I'm not sure if that's the first time or not, but I'm sure the last time I looked some months ago, EastEnders comfortably outperformed it.

Coronation Street 0.881m
EastEnders 0.782m
Emmerdale 0.485k
Actually, this is only true on catch up after day of broadcast. If you include VOSDAL (viewing on same day as live - which is separated in the stats), EastEnders is ahead.
Possibly because EastEnders drops earlier on the day it's broadcast?

Post roxs over 8 mill wowzees love miss browns boys wood I liy you dragons den more

Big bears 🐻 roxs

May 27 - June 2

01 Race Across The World 5.988m
02 Britain's Got Talent 5.123m
03 Coronation Street 4.687m
04 The Great British Sewing Bee 4.529m
05 Emmerdale 4.063m
06 Have I Got News For You 3.722m
07 EastEnders 3.628m
08 Doctor Who 3.383m
09 Race Across The World: The Reunion 3.312m
10 Antiques Roadshow 3.294m
11 BBC News at Six 3.110m
12 Countryfile 3.098m
13 Casualty 2.922m

It all gets a bit newsy and incomplete due to all episodes of BBC News at Ten, BBC Weekend News, ITN Evening News and The Chase not being in the chart to calculate an average, and to be frank, for those shows, I can't be arsed, if the info is even there to calculate from. So these figures below are just audiences without fully working out rank. It would likely be the four shows above and the three below rounding out the top 20 in some order below Casualty, though.

Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 2.502m (is this a repeat? why has it fallen so hard?)
The Repair Shop 2.463m
The Responder 2.345m

Last edited:
Full disclosure - the most watched show of the week was the final of BGT with 6.035m, not Race Across The World. But I want to see RATW at #1 so decided to average BGT with the semi finals instead :)

If I had separated the final from the semis across the week, the average for the semis would be 4.94m.

The final of BGT was down 0.294m (4.6%) on last year, which seems to me to be probably in line with the decline in viewing generally.

The final of BGT was down 0.294m (4.6%) on last year, which seems to me to be probably in line with the decline in viewing generally.
Although to compare with the three soaps for the week of the BGT final last year, it does appear to be losing pace:

Coronation Street up 1.9%
Emmerdale up 2.1%
EastEnders up 2.4%

I wouldn't read too much into what that means for each soap individually, as I think you need to look at longer term trends rather than a snapshot of one week for that. But I do think it's interesting that they are all seeing slight growth, whereas BGT is slipping.

Last edited:
Although to compare with the three soaps for the week of the BGT final last year, it does appear to be losing pace:

Coronation Street up 1.9%
Emmerdale up 2.1%
EastEnders up 2.4%

I wouldn't read too much into what that means for each soap individually, as I think you need to look at longer term trends rather than a snapshot of one week for that. But I do think it's interesting that they are all seeing slight growth, whereas BGT is slipping.

Oh COME ON. :D

BGT still being number 1 show of the week would make me think more than anything this years show would be seen as nothing short of a success. The way ratings have been slipping considerably over the past few years I would have thought this years ratings result was more of a level out than anything else.

Like I said in the post before, a 4.6% decline felt about right to me across viewership in general. But that made me also wonder how other programmes fared across the same week, and the soaps are a point of consistency, so I looked and it wasn't true for them, this week. And I do think it's interesting that they haven't fallen. Sewing Bee, News At Six and Countryfile have also increased slightly year on year as well, looking further into it, although Antiques Roadshow has fallen.

Perhaps TV in general is levelling out, but you'll need to look across more weeks than that, which I suspect won't show it.

Like I said in the post before, a 4.6% decline felt about right to me across viewership in general. But that made me also wonder how other programmes fared across the same week, and the soaps are a point of consistency, so I looked and it wasn't true for them, this week. And I do think it's interesting that they haven't fallen. Sewing Bee, News At Six and Countryfile have also increased slightly year on year as well, looking further into it, although Antiques Roadshow has fallen.

Perhaps TV in general is levelling out, but you'll need to look across more weeks than that, which I suspect won't show it.

I would have THOUGHT so may well be wrong that most shows would have dropped. I am always more and more shocked each time I see the chart at how low the ratings are getting. Under 3 million generally to make the top 20 tv shows is terrible.

In the overnights BGT was down just 0.1 million. In a lot of other ratings posts I have read on different sites it was lauded as a success as it had been dropping like a stone for quite a few years consistently shedding a lot more viewers than the natural linear tv decline.

At the very least it certainly seems to have slowed or arrested its decline, because it was falling hard previously, I'm quite sure. I may do a DEEP DIVE into the stats later if I feel like getting my :david: on.

At the very least it certainly seems to have slowed or arrested its decline, because it was falling hard previously, I'm quite sure. I may do a DEEP DIVE into the stats later if I feel like getting my :david: on.

Oh STOP IT. It’s too early to be getting my hopes up like that. :disco:

Do you have every week logged into an Excel workbook? Would be interesting to put it into chatgpt and see what analysis and trends it can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom