Old TOTP (BBC4)

I absolutely fucking hated OCS and history has proved me absolutely right. A pile of fetid horseshit with some bonus dogshit on top.

I had blotted Diana Ross doing I Will Survive from my memory. Must ensure I do so again after this. Won't be tricky.

Red Hot Chili Peppers too? Good grief, no wonder I was off listening to Autechre and Nurse With Wound by this time...

"Going Out" does that thing that Supergrass did a few times where it *sounds* great but there's not much of a song to be had. At this remove, it doesn't matter because it turned out that they had tunes by the bucketload but at the time, it was a bit of a worry.

"I'm off dahn the pub, see ya laytah!". Fuck off, you were away for oysters and wine at some posh joint.

It's quite fun seeing the likes of Robert Miles and Babylon Zoo having big beige desktop computer monitors on stage. "This is the future, kids!" Yeah, OK...

"Hyperballad" in the running for being the best thing ever made by anyone ever.

"Stereotypes" was definitely not one of Blur's best. They look worn out and cheesed off here. Interesting that they've started dressing as they would for their next era already. Alex James in a hoodie and combats? Unthought of.

At least Noddy Holder made a few quid off this dreadful version of "Cum On Feel The Noize". It's exactly what was wrong with them in the long run - Oasis couldn't do subtlety. They could do loud and they could do acoustic but they couldn't do anything in between and this is where they floundered. Amazing, in a way, to think that this is actually the end of Oasis's classic run, less than 2 years after their first single.

Iam watering em show one I on moons go 😳😎😁😂🤔😮 rare don’t think shown it once I under age got tour radio 1 pik out CDs records I ther hole day got see things others didn’t vip to 😂😎😳

Ligers kool

Still weeks behind with these, but caught up a few this week.

Every time I hear Falling Into You now I just imagine what the Belinda version would have sounded like.

I do love Gab's Give Me A Little More Time. Always a sucker for a Motown pastiche. Her brass section/backing singers were enjoying themselves. Shame it was cut short for Sting by satellite with this gay remix I hope he hates.

Gina G and Dubstar :disco:

Shame about some of the other dross. Yes I'm looking at you Cast.

Goodness I had forgotten about this Foo Fighters video/ song. I remember being rather partial.

I'd like to know which incidental music Gina G from Neighbours wrote, because I can guarantee I'd remember it.

A TOTP VIDEO EXCLUSIVE of the entirely hook-free second Babylon Zoo single. What a thrill!

You never really hear from Suggs these days, do you?

Is he just living a quiet retired life on his Madness millions? Probably for the best. If memory serves, this Cecilia cover really outstays its welcome...

Oh!

I guess my world would very rarely intersect with theirs in fairness. If I saw it I probably assumed it was a reissue hitting #1 in a quiet week.

I don't remember what this week's episode two guest presenter Beertje Van Beers was famous for, but what a name! :disco:

To all the people doin' lines
DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT
Inject your soul with LIBERTY
It's free! It's free!

:(

The Cranberries JUST SAY NO (Irish Ska mix) going straight into Michael Jackson doing his best man of the people impression in the 'They Don't Care About Us' video is quite the 1-2 punch of utter 90s ludicrousness.

I don't remember what this week's episode two guest presenter Beertje Van Beers was famous for, but what a name! :disco:
I'm watching tonight as well, and googled her as I have no recollection of her either.

Wikipedia doesn't really enlighten any further than her being a Dutch presenter, but Google translate does inform me that her name is Bear From Beers 🇳🇱

• Love
Reactions: VoR
You never really hear from Suggs these days, do you?

Is he just living a quiet retired life on his Madness millions? Probably for the best. If memory serves, this Cecilia cover really outstays its welcome...
Madness also got completely ripped off and did not have millions to retire on! The era where the money was in touring was kind to them, however - they already had a huge audience and have been able to bounce around the arenas every second Christmas for the last 15 years or so.

Gusto came on and I was in my usual "who?" confusion until the BAUUM BAUMM BAUMM BU-BU-BAUMM BAUMM BAUMM synth line came in and then I was like ahhhhh.

This episode is quite interesting in terms of how some of pop's eldest statesfolk were doing in the mid 90s. Sting looking like a total lemon miming a dance mix of his single with 6 dancers, Tina Turner also finding herself with Sudden Dancer Onslaught but leaning in and owning in and the David Bowie hanging out with Pet Shop Boys and dropping a total banger.

Always worth remembering that, at the point where Bowie was being praised, imitated and generally held up as The Daddy during Britpop, rather than make an album which played up to that, he holed up with Brian Eno and made the hugely experimental, downright impenetrable "1. Outside". Which is why we loved him so much.

This episode is DISMAL. The mid 90s were HARD GOING at times...we're still pre-Spice Girls here, of course.

Even Lush in their pop-punk era were nowhere near as good as they were in their shoegazey pomp. Miki Berenyi's live vocals are pretty dreadful too.

Mark Morrison - now there's someone who absolutely blew it. Return Of The Mack is still pretty decent...it does a lot with a little. One loop and Morrison's personality.

"Real Love" is easily the worst thing released with The Beatles' name on it. Maybe they could do a better job of lifting Lennon's voice off the cassette nowadays but it's just a duff song.

Peter Andre's backing band of all all-female musicians all in black shiny bodysuits was an early red flag, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom