Old TOTP (BBC4)

Oh, QFX generate something close to a trauma response in me. If you were in the yr 20s in Glasgow in the 90s, they were inescapable. Terrible but inescapable - only The Time Frequency were bigger.

I remember this being the first time a lot of people had taken notice since 'Creep'. "The Bends" had sold pretty well but over time and my memory says that it did good business in all the year end polls (these things mattered in the 90s). The great video and generally unusual tone gave them their highest chart position thus far and it began to feel as if they'd actually won - they'd fended off the one-hit wonder tag by the time honoured trick of making a great record. We're about 15 months away from 'Paranoid Android' here, that's all.

The Bluetones were a bit like Menswear - you knew exactly what records they were listening to but at least they were stealing the good bits. This sounds pretty limp now.

Northern Uproar were emblematic of what was happening - every bunch of scallies with guitars were getting signed up hither and thither. These poor souls were only 17 - in the 80s, they'd have been signed to a development deal and allowed to hone their obvious talent into something of their own. In 1996, it was straight onto vinyl, straight into TOTP and finished before 1997.

The Smurfs covered "I Want To Be A Hippy" as "I Want A Little Puppy". Now that's reach.

Right, the next episode has the Lighthouse Family and I'm not psychologically fit for that so that'll do for now.

Falling Into You really is top drawer Celine, but I can't hear it without pining for the Belinda Carlisle version we could have had. (She claims the song was nicked from her by Celine's A&R team after she originally demoed it for her A Woman & A Man album.)

Speaking of top drawer - Give Me a Little More Time. A classic!

Sting looking thoroughly displeased to be lowering himself to a 90s dance beat on this song.

I haven't seen a musical icon look so mortified while making a questionable grab for the pink pound since this iconic Mary J Blige video...

Also enjoyed notorious 80s fuck buddies Bowie and Tina Turner being programmed back to back. Wonder if they had a little reunion backstage...

I had entirely forgotten about Gusto.

Hallo Spaceboy was cockney hi-nrg 10/10 no notes.

Tina and Bowie on the same episode. Were they paid?

Old sparrow lungs Maria Nayler really was the (barely audible) voice of mid-90s trance, wasn't she?

I vaguely recognise this Sasha track but I don't think I ever twigged that it was her on it. It's no One & One, but pretty good.

Ooh I had Be As One on the other day. Timeless ethereal nonsense.

Dare I say this was better than One & One.

I assume we're not getting the frankly weird Song For Europe meets TOTP which gave us Gina G

The sisters Grimm from Eternal doing one of their sexier numbers in full puffa jackets :D

You just know they gave Kelle the hiding of her life backstage for daring to show a bit of upper arm. SLUT!

Coming Home Now another is my worst songs of all time. Barely has a shell, let alone a filling.

#TOTP on Twitter is all teen blokes of the 90s posting digital moon eyes about Louise Wener. Straights are so odd. She's a total charisma vacuum.

If Julian Cope had never taken acid, Jarvis Cocker would have been surplus to requirements. Such as it is...

Did Joan Osborne have a career in the US after "One Of Us"? Archetypal 90s one-hit-wonder stuff. File next to Crash Test Dummies.

Did Joan Osborne have a career in the US after "One Of Us"? Archetypal 90s one-hit-wonder stuff. File next to Crash Test Dummies.
I vaguely recall kinda liking her second single St Theresa.

Just looked her up. Did the standard cunt test and searched the word trans on her profile and happily she passes.

Seriously low-energy "what's this SHIT?" miming from Etta James and her band. As well they might, given that they're doing it in a gale, next to a ferry port.

I remember being entirely unbothered by Terrorvision at the time but this sounds shite now. If they'd been American, they'd have been a ska band.

Her out of Elastica and Ocean Colour Scene on the same stage. Where's Godzilla when you need him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom