Vitamin C - Graduation (Friends Forever)

As we go on...

• Total voters

KindaCool

Basic bopz plz
Do you guys remember this?

I still get kinda sad when I hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was never a hit here. I do love it however.

Vitamin C was such a bizarre pop star. She was literally about 40 and trying to compete with all the teen queens.

It was never a hit here. I do love it however.

Vitamin C was such a bizarre pop star. She was literally about 40 and trying to compete with all the teen queens.

She's like a blueprint for Bonnie McKee, right down to the cheap looking hair.

• Love
Reactions: VoR
Still waiting on the album More Pulp Less Fiction to drop any day now.

She was a pop trailblazer.

This was played so much around the time of my actual graduations, high school and college, that it’s hard to even really think of it as a song you’d choose to listen to out of context. Almost like Christmas music

from wikipedia:

A new version of the song, titled "Graduation 2020 (Worst Year Ever)", was recorded in 2020 as a reflection on the year with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic. This version, created by Vizzy Hard Seltzer and Canadian advertising agency Rethink Communications, contains newly recorded lyrics from Vitamin C, who donated her appearance fee to several charitable organizations.

I never knew she was Amber von Tussle in Hairspray :o

This is an actual 10 and also a nostalgic 10, but the 11 of her career is THE ITCH

• Love
Reactions: VoR
Her whole career is so random. There was also THIS which was big on The Box circa 2003 but ultimately never went anywhere.

Coincidentally I found her second album More in a charity shop the other day after only having a digital copy for years, and the hype sticker on the front boasts the hits "Smile" and "Graduation", two tracks they had tacked on from her first album :D Clearly this was from before The Itch became a surprise Australian top 6 hit

I also love how half her singles were tie-ins with completely forgotten films or tv shows, including this cheap crap from the soundtrack of a movie starring David Arquette and a bullmastiff

Oh Marilyn you are speaking my language!

Her film career is equally beguiling. Post-Hairspray highlights including Dracula 2000, something called My X-Girlfriend's Wedding Reception also starring Debbie Gibson and BERNIE SANDERS ( :D ) and playing herself in forgotten teen classic Get Over It.

The latter featuring this truly execrable cover of September with Sisqo :D

It's poetic that she began her entertainment career playing Debbie Harry's daughter and (more or less) ended it by sampling Blondie on Last Nite

Really makes you think

I'm upping my VC dosage. Oh how I adore this (I've got it on right now):

And the thumbnail image - I remember being quite obsessed with her iconography here.

What pop star was birthed by She Talks About Love though I hear no one ask? Probably Margaret Berger.

The More ultimate is this though:

What pop has-been has this airtight slither of a song to thank though? Well, Ophelie Winter was introduced to the prospect of a the clubccentric slut jam and Dannii Minogue stormed out of London records when they told her she couldn't print that.

Preserved in authentic dial-up/takes-30-minutes-to-load image quality, this tender drip of Shania Spears has actually improved for me over the years. I would really love her videos to get the HD treatment:

Whether it was scooping another movie soundtrack feature or being an emergency ballad to try to re-produce Graduation, I always dismissed it as the album simply has much stronger material that is musically far more daring than what this is doing.

See also: This Summer I.

I remember having to endure listening to a cover version by someone who had Dannii Minogue's Message In A Bottle and I was unsuccessfully trying to get the demo off them (they claimed they couldn't find it).

Was Vitamin C too old for this sultry hook-infused teen angst fodder? Were we all just too deficient to know what was good for us? That was then and this is now when we all now know That Was Then This Is Now is absolutely gorgeous.

Who owes Vitamin C some royalties after wripping this off? B*Witched, Avril Lavigne, and Hepburn who rushed out their material a whole year before More.

Glad to have notified some fans 😊
I doubt I'll be hearing this song at my graduation, nor are any of my friends from the first year graduating this year, but I'll think of it. 🤗💭🎓
Might hear some new Enya in November though! 🤩🎼

I was thinking of sharing the song below earlier on, but as she rightly sings:

who needs acceleration on a Tuesday in June?

🌝🌞:headphones::disco: (Up to 0:17,and resumes at 4:28)

It's quite catchy! It could've been a hit if it was released separately to the show as her first single in 1988 – alongside some other awesome female artists. 🤗🎶

And also what is it called? ☺️
Stewart Copeland (drummer of The Police) composed the soundtrack, but there's nothing talking about if he did this song. Sarcastically it seems like something he'd write. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom