Sheena’s 2024 Athletics Thread

Yeah, that’s true, I just think if there’s been an exceptional circumstance such as injury, illness or a freak incident in qualifying a defending champ only, if they’ve proven fitness and times by a cut off point, might be worth wild carding in in the interest of the sport. I guess I just really want to see the match up.

Different sport different scenario but in tennis if Ivanisevic hadn’t received a wild card the year he won Wimbledon he would never have been a grand slam champion.

They have it at Worlds, just not Olympics. I guess there is probably an issue in a multi sport event like that making it fair across the board. I don’t know much about other sports but what happens if something like this happens in a team sport, it could make a lot more difference.

This goes back forever- there was talk about defending champions getting wild cards back in Seb Coe’s day.

Despite some miserable looking weather, the last stretch of the trials in particular was very entertaining. DAS, MHS, Dobson and Anning all looked very good, and WOW at Phoebe Gill.

Drama in the men's 800m and steeplechase, with a rough outcome in the latter... and Alistair Chalmers got a good result eventually.

There was just too much going on this weekend with Glasto and other sports being on. I did tune in a couple of times but it all seemed a wee bit drab with the weather and turn out but glad the key players came out unscathed.

Despite some miserable looking weather, the last stretch of the trials in particular was very entertaining. DAS, MHS, Dobson and Anning all looked very good, and WOW at Phoebe Gill.

Drama in the men's 800m and steeplechase, with a rough outcome in the latter... and Alistair Chalmers got a good result eventually.

Dina looked phenomenal. She’s back in 2019 form by that run- in those conditions it was PB territory.

BUT!

We also said that last year after her 100 win.

World record of 50.65 for Sydney in the 400H in the US trials. Ridiculously good time, so fast.

Femke really needs to move to the flat. Her indoor times suggest she’s a 48. athlete at this point and I still think it’s her best chance of (individual) gold, considering Sydney is in ridiculous form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom