New Music Fridays 2024

The new Nina Nesbitt is more singer songwritery and quite lovely:

Solo thing from one of 5SOS has a bit of a dreampop feel:

A super smooth sounding groove from The Marías:

HUGE week for me this week and catching up on some stuff from last week as well, here's a few highlights:

The new Justice is synth heaven and so happy to have Miguel back, his collaborations are always a treat

I'm not very familiar with Baby Rose but this is stunning, there's a little bit of the Brittany Howard about her, with Badbadnotgood on production duties

More groovy lofi from Droz

More Nu Funk from Brother Zulu

More barmy epic pop from Loren Krumar (bring on the album already)

This is the best LION BABE song in a good long while

I was looking at todays Spotify chart and there's like ten new entries from FUTURE. I feel so old.

HUGE week for me this week and catching up on some stuff from last week as well, here's a few highlights:

The new Justice is synth heaven and so happy to have Miguel back, his collaborations are always a treat

I'm not very familiar with Baby Rose but this is stunning, there's a little bit of the Brittany Howard about her, with Badbadnotgood on production duties

More groovy lofi from Droz

More Nu Funk from Brother Zulu

More barmy epic pop from Loren Krumar (bring on the album already)

This is the best LION BABE song in a good long while

I wasn't sure about I'm a slut for the first thirty seconds or so... felt like it was verging on MIKA territory, but I was quickly won round.

I'm a witch... ssshhh... sshhh

The Justice and Baby Rose tracks are great too.

I shall be getting comfortable with a glass of wine for midnight tonight :disco: London Grammar, Amber Mark and Fabiana’s album, and who knows what else! EXCITED

Another GREAT week!

Jordan's album coming soon. Looks like we're getting something inspired by blues, gospel and doo-wop based on the singles...

I love Tia Gordon, she's like an R&B Billie Eilish. New EP...

Lion Babe are 2 for 2 with new singles, an album incoming??

One of my ASFM entries is back with a new single, more of the same moody 80s synth R&B

Empire Of The Sun are back and it's more of the same, can't complain

This is good! (can't find a thread on them because mopsy won't let me search for three letter words)

From the last couple of weeks...

This is kind of The Pierces-esque, I do miss them:

Alice Merton released an EP and I think this is just about the best new song:

Lapsley going dark and dramatic:

Love this new one from Joe Goddard:

I haven't got into the girl in red album yet but New Love has inevitable Heartstopper soundtrack vibes:

Phoebe Green's full on synth pop direction is going well. I think this is leading to an EP rather than an album:

Alfie Templeman is in 3D Feelings type bop mode:

Listened to the Loren Kramer album @FetchFugly ?

It’s definitely an example of having amazing singles that actually don’t represent the album, not that the album is bad but most of the songs are very soft and piano led, so not as rich as Hollywood Blvd or Glovemaker. I think he unfortunately peaked early. But I’ll go back to it and listen a few more times before deciding because I’m already invested.

Listened to the Loren Kramer album @FetchFugly ?

It’s definitely an example of having amazing singles that actually don’t represent the album, not that the album is bad but most of the songs are very soft and piano led, so not as rich as Hollywood Blvd or Glovemaker. I think he unfortunately peaked early. But I’ll go back to it and listen a few more times before deciding because I’m already invested.

I forgot that it was out this week. Will have a listen over the weekend. Hopefully its more subtle charms will reveal themselves.

It's my birthday, it's Thursday, and I want to get fucked in the worst way

Subtle probably wasn't the word to describe this album :D

There is a run of piano ballads following that song however. The rest of the album is more what I expected. Like a Lover is gorgeous, he sounds a bit Tracy Chapman-esque.

More Justice-Tame Impala. I haven't listened to the album yet but hopefully there are some more keepers:

An interesting intro, and something of a different direction for Kiesza:

The return of Honey. with one of their intermittent singles. Doesn't quite reach the heights of What Now but good all the same:

Barely there vocals and a BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA banger from Rebecca and Fiona:

She's now coming for Chaka Khan and trying to destroy her legacy with THIS. Unforgivable.

A HUGE week for me this week! As well as Billie and Shaznay, Zayn's album dropped (I like it, most on here won't, it's AMERICANA!), Childish Gambino dropped an album (contains traces of Ariana Grande) which sounds great on first listen, new music London Grammar, Peggy Gou, Empire Of The Sun, Lion Babe...!

As well as all that, here's some random ones I'm liking...

That 80s funk vibe

That lo-fi neo-soul jazz vibe is big with British white male singers at the moment, and I live

New Wolfclub, synthwave pop band

Trentemøller never disappoints

New synthpop from Florrie

I agree, lots this week. The Empire of the Sun song is really fun:

Gaga seems to be a common muse at the moment. Not only has Miley recast Talking Heads in her image but this treads a similar path:

Sophie and the Giants sounding quite like she does on her PDM collabs:

Two I don't know much about but found trawling the France NMF list. The first is a slightly grimy early eighties new wave tune and the second a lovely summery thing:

The new Bright Light Bright Light album is out this week. I have latched onto the Richard X track, which has the usually sparkly production with an extra eighties feel:

The title track with Beth Hirsch is quite nice too.

Reactions: GNL
Oh and this came out last week and has been working its turn of the century mildly alternative pop female charms on me:

Ooh good shout on the S&TG tune, her best non collab in a while. And I’m also liking the new beabadoobee song…

STILL YOUNG... and DELIRIOUS :disco:

Was excited to see Lou Hayter is back, bit colour me slightly underwhelmed:

The rather fleeting Astrid S album is out today and the title track is a definite bop and the best of the new songs:

A PDM co-production and it does sound like it:

I thought the same on Lou Hayter @FetchFugly but on a second listen it's growing on me a bit. It feels a bit undercooked but maybe she was going for minimal, I actually like some of the production choices.

Don't know this duo but this jumped out on NMF

I've had my eye on these girls for a bit now, their brand of moody dance and electronica pop always seems to do interesting things

Never know quite what to expect from this band, but I'm looking forward to the album. This is very Tame Impala coded

This takes a minute to hit but there's something very special about this understated track, I love the gramophone effect on the vocal

Foster The People going full spaced out disco strut:

I've belatedly got a little obsessed with Lola Young's Wish You Were Dead and this new one is very good too, if a little less intense:

Lykke Li over a somewhat raised bpm and sounding very good too:

Synthpop from Dolores Forever, who have an album due in the autumn:

The new Raleigh Ritchie is quite poppy:

Two Brit indie pop queens:

All The Damn Vampires with another song, another bop (thanks to @Tisch for introducing mopsy to this synthwave act)

This magnificent bastard has an album coming out finally, this is the stonking new single

Miss Gavin never really strays from her Nu Disco sound, but it always seems to work

JONES has released an EP and it's oddly commercial sounding,not necessarily in a bad way

James Blake also goes a bit accessible and mainstream on his new release, actually his best in a while

New EP from Night Tapes, the new songs are way more low key than the singles on it, but I'm really liking "Waterfall"

This sounds like the best in a while from CAS

I love that Omar Apollo track, I really didn't realise it was him when it came on.

This is a very good song but it does sound like Lorde sings Taylor Swift:

Kleerup is back:

A bit of a similar sound to i like the way you kiss me:

This has Maggie Rogers co write and production credits:

Quite enjoyed my first listen of the Alfie Templeman album too. Still need to give the new Charli and AURORA a go.

Lots of good songs this week. Part one - Swedish female duos special.

Say Lou Lou with a spacey (and sultry) gem. I think this is the first song from another EP:

The best song Honey. have delivered since the glorious What Now:

I will continue to post bangers from Rebecca & Fiona if only for my own interest. This one is a little less frantic. Four from four this year and they have an album due in September:

Pale Waves sounding somewhat influenced by The Cranberries:

Another very good song from Etta Marcus:

This from Franky Wah and Låpsley surely needs an extended version with more of the waily bit:

Look at everyone having a busy NMF! Mine was CRAP this week, very disappointing on the whole, although there are new albums from Anderson Paak, James Vincent McMorrow and Lalah Hathaway that I haven’t fully digested yet, but on first skim didn’t sound too great, just a couple of tracks here and there :(

I do like the Franky Wah and Pale Waves tracks though - they did jump out. And of course Tove Lo.

The new one from Kasabian is actually really good (the last single was quite agreeable too). Disco strings and general camp frippery:

Fuzzy new single from Suki Waterhouse, (the upcoming album is called Memoir of a Sparklemuffin :disco: ):

This from ARXX is fun:

Pixey's new one is co-written and produced by half of Jungle and it is quite evident:

I hope that Jungle-does-pop sound doesn't get too big, it might spoil my enjoyment of them. I could see that being big with a bit of support though.

She's still not quite LANDED with me yet but this is a nice groove

This is a lovely slice of nostalgia and I prefer it to the previous song. Hope the album is this good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom