Final Fantasy 7 Remake & Rebirth

So much of this looks amazing, but I really am starting to dread all the Zack stuff - he appears to be in it SO MUCH and I just don't give a fuck, I've always felt like he's more interesting the less we see of him. Maybe they'll suprise me and do something cool with him, but it would be a first :tongueout:

I’m hoping the Zack stuff will just be a bit of a side story distraction and that’s it.
Otherwise I think the whole thing looks incredible.

I don’t think I have ever been so excited to play a video game.

IMG_2412.jpeg

IMG_2411.jpeg

Anything so Sephiroth and Zack heavy just isn't going to excite me I think - I don't have any faith in current Square Enix to really know what they're doing with either of them. We'll see though :tongueout:

That trailer weirdly didn't do much for me but LOVE THIS PIC SPECIFICALLY
Yeah the latest trailer doesn’t give away much new info which is a shame and blessing at the same time.
There is still so much to see!

God I am so upset (well, mildly peeved) I can't play this for a long while. I only have a Switch at the moment and obviously that doesn't seem to be happening.

I haven't been following intently, but they're not going in hard on the Zack stuff, are they? Surely no one asked for that?

Anything so Sephiroth and Zack heavy just isn't going to excite me I think - I don't have any faith in current Square Enix to really know what they're doing with either of them. We'll see though :tongueout:

I really enjoyed Crisis Core on the PSP (despite the shonky battle system); it really fleshed out the backstory, which, if I'm honest, is the one bit of the original game I don't think is told particularly well. The relationship between Zack and Cloud has been much more clearly defined by subsequent spin-offs, but if you just go off of the plot in VII, I still find it quite vaguely depicted.

Anyway, I'm nervously excited for Rebirth. I played the Intergrade DLC last month, and it got me right back into the game (I had hoped to see Sonon as a new addition to the mainline game, but, well...). The first remake was good, but I'd also say, in terms of design, you can't really go wrong with a game set mostly in Midgar. It's a big, grey, industrial city. I really hope they nail areas like the Gold Saucer, which were so well rendered but also allowed for a bit of imagination. The screenshots look promising, so far.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to what they'll do with Aerith. I feel like she probably will die at some point in terms of the overall plot, but I think they'll shift it to somewhere else to create another twist. Or maybe they'll swap her out for another death altogether. Either way, there surely will be a twist.

I really enjoyed Crisis Core on the PSP (despite the shonky battle system); it really fleshed out the backstory, which, if I'm honest, is the one bit of the original game I don't think is told particularly well. The relationship between Zack and Cloud has been much more clearly defined by subsequent spin-offs, but if you just go off of the plot in VII, I still find it quite vaguely depicted.

I've never delved into any of the spin-offs so perhaps I should really (if that's even possible now) as I was always more than content with the main series alone, but with the original FF7, I never felt like the game suffered much because of the lack of Zack backstory and clarity - if anything I seem to recall being glad when most of those scenes were done with. I'll need to play though again because it's been a few years and I can't be sure, but going the other way and filling it with MORE Zack content doesn't sound ideal to me, even though I'm sure it'll be fine. There's enough meat in FFVII without it. I would've thought a few scene changes to clear up loose plot strands would suffice in Zack's case, but then that maybe that's just me wanting it all to be the same but bigger and prettier and I doubt we'll be getting precisely that. I'm likely to go in with suppressed expectations and hopefully end up enjoying it for what it is (when I finally play it in 2036).

I've never delved into any of the spin-offs so perhaps I should really (if that's even possible now) as I was always more than content with the main series alone, but with the original FF7, I never felt like the game suffered much because of the lack of Zack backstory and clarity - if anything I seem to recall being glad when most of those scenes were done with.

That's definitely how it felt at the time (it doesn't help that Cloud's breakdown happens when the momentum is really starting to pick up, causing the game to grind to a halt). Maybe there was more nuance to the plot, but I took it at the time that Cloud just really looked up to Zack, hence taking on his identity.

Crisis Core is much less ambiguous about what happened and why Cloud ended up the way he did. If anything, I was nonchalant about Zack until that game, but it made me perceive him as a much more prominent part of the narrative. I didn't care enough to play the remake of Crisis Core, mind :D

For me the whole point was that Zack didn't really matter beyond him not being Cloud, so nearly every spinoff giving us more and more about him hasn't really been ideal :tongueout:

Crisis Core has one of the worst stories I've ever subjected myself to, and I've played every Kingdom Hearts game

Evidently, I was more into the lore! I thought Crisis Core was a really enjoyable spin-off.

Crisis Core has one of the worst stories I've ever subjected myself to, and I've played every Kingdom Hearts game

:D Not possible. Kingdom Hearts has such a wanky, convoluted story that even the loon fanbase can't be bothered with it.

Yeah I played Crisis Core Reunion and it was fun. But the story was horrible.

It's entirely subjective, I guess. I found Crisis Core satisfied my yearning (at the time) to have a bit more of the story explained.

Final Fantasy VII was my first RPG, so I was definitely into knowing more about the characters. I think the plot works reasonably well in that regard; the game starts with loads of stuff having already happened. Much of it is explained to a satisfactory extent, but I also never felt like Crisis Core was invented purely for the sake of being a prologue.

I concur that there are probably elements of it that verge on going down the Kingdom Hearts route of narrative gymnastics. Mercifully, Square Enix seemed to have the good sense to realise after Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core that preserving the legacy of the original game was more important.

On the topic of Kingdom Hearts, I can't believe that IV is going to be FIFTEENTH entry in the series. Nonsense.

If the rumours are true and part three of this trilogy is called ReGenesis I'm RIOTING :tongueout:
Xbox Ff GIF by Square Enix

If Genesis appears in Rebirth in any way I’m off to SE headquarters to burn them down.

NONE of the Genesis or Angeal rot please

If they really need more story padding, there is totally more they could do with the original supporting cast. The evil Tory Turks, Reeve, the ridiculous Bugenhagen ho hoo hoo, I'll take character development for them instead.

Reactions: COB
I can see why they needed a bit of padding for Remake. But surely Rebirth is already STACKED story wise. There is already so much to get through we don’t need extras.

Anyone watching the State Of Play in 3 hours?
Then apparently there will be a demo available.
Tempted to call in sick :o

We now have the most important line reading in the game

Which is of course not a patch on

I'm holding off on the next part of the demo because the progress doesn't carry over to the main game. I enjoyed the first part of the demo, and I'm excited to be able to (hopefully) jump straight into chapter 2.

The first chapter (no spoilers) gives a good sense of how they've expanded the world by making the geography of locations more realistic, though it's clearly designed in part to act as an introduction to the controls.

So it's basically a new game right? Data/progress won't be transferable from the first game?

None of the stats carry over from the first game.

You get the Leviathan materia for save data from Remake, and Ramuh materia for save data from INTERmission.

The size of the game fills me with DREAD.

Apparently a good 30 hours for a straight run. Upwards of 70 if you factor in side quests.

Gone are the days when I happily had time to sink 99+ hours into the original Final Fantasy VII.

The size of the game fills me with DREAD.

Apparently a good 30 hours for a straight run. Upwards of 70 if you factor in side quests.

Gone are the days when I happily had time to sink 99+ hours into the original Final Fantasy VII.
I’m on about 130 hours of Remake!

This arrived today, and I thought I'd just play 30 minutes or so...which turned into four hours :eyes:

For anyone who played the demo, the game doesn't actually allow you to pick up from Chapter 2 automatically. There's a new opening, and then you have to play through a short section (5 minutes or so) to be able to jump near to the end of the chapter. And you don't keep any items you picked up during the demo run (although, in hindsight, I'm not sure you would keep them anyway - that wouldn't make sense). In all, it took just under 20 minutes to bypass everything.

Last edited:
I've just reached Chapter 3, and I really think Square Enix has got it right in terms of balancing the main storyline and side quests. Pretty much any point of interest on the world map doubles up as a fast-travel spot, so you can switch back and forth as much as you want.

Just got to the first JENOVA fight and the music!!!

Just had to pause to enjoy it in full before even attempting the fight.

I've come through the Mythril Mines, unlocked the Chocobo carriage and then backtracked to finish off all the intel stuff in the Grasslands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom