Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 6.3%

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Jark

User
WHAT A SONG!

Released in '99 during Tom Jones' unexpected end-of-century play for contemporary pop/chart relevance, it was a decent global/European hit, making top 10 in the UK and Aus, although it wasn't until Sex Bomb the next year that he really TOOK OVER. It makes me sad that something like that couldn't happen in 2020. It was also The Cardigans' final top 10.

Anyway, what do you think? Do Tom's HURRICANE vocals justify taking on Talking Heads' original?

Before I got to the end of the thread title I thought oh don't tell me they're at it again.

This does work remarkably well though.

I hate it with a passion. He sounds like a braying horse and she sounds like a robot singing the same note over and over again.

This was a great all round campaign for Tom but I never need to hear this song again.

Good fun, but when it comes to Nina Persson effortlessly elevating songs by Welsh people, give me Your Love Alone Is Not Enough any day.

Reactions: GNL
I wish she'd have a go at the Shakin' Stevens songbook

Reactions: VoR
What a strange pop moment 'Reload' was in retrospect. It was UNFEASIBLY MASSIVE.

Sex Bomb has aged APPALLINGLY, but I guess it remains a fun novelty track.

OMG, remember when he squandered ALL of the goodwill from the Reload project with this DISASTROUS FLOP? :D

It even uses the same hook from Eternal's equally career-killing 'What'cha Gonna Do'

Who could forget this Cymraeg Christmas classic?

I know it's been CANCELLED but I love a bit of Baby It's Cold Outside. :(

It was the lead single from his next album!

A #31 SMASH in 2002, impressively peaking lower than ALL FIVE of the Reload singles. (Yes, even the Heather Small HONKATHON)

The Heather Small duet is the HONKIEST thing I've ever heard, even honkier than a HONKY HORN! :argh:

Revisiting this one now as well, God what a LONG 3 minutes :zombie:

I did laugh at the opening shot of Heather Small's MASSIVE KNOCKERS appearing to burst into shot. :D

He was alright in the end wasn’t he?
The Voice, and then he played his Johnny Cash “prehumously-released posthumous album” card

OMG, remember when he squandered ALL of the goodwill from the Reload project with this DISASTROUS FLOP? :D

It even uses the same hook from Eternal's equally career-killing 'What'cha Gonna Do'

this is in my top 20 least favourite songs of all time - which is a countdown I may well put together :disco:

Paramore's take on Burning Down the House from the Talking Heads Stop Making Sense covers album

excellent

I really think Tom Jones should be SHOT for murdering great songs by infinitely superior artists and somehow turning them into bigger commercial successes than the originals (see also: "Kiss").

I hadn't heard this since childhood and I wish I'd left it that way! He sounds like he's about to have a seizure and the Cardigans frontwoman sounds like she couldn't give a damn. That dichotomy might be more interesting in the hands of different artists, but the whole thing just sounds way off to me.

The ONLY act that should be permitted to cover Talking Heads are the Staple Singers.

Apart from Stoned In Love being 100/10 I'm just not that familiar beyond the obvious curios. I guess I did listen to his TV duet with Dusty on Upside Down quite a bit back in the day when I was majorly looning over Madame O'Brien and all I could do was jot down what AllMusic had her down as doing and strut into the likes of HMV/MVC et all with my lists to then go through the entire A-Z selection to see what I could get from them.

Burning Down The House and Stoned In Love are both 11/10. Although I'm still not convinced the latter sounds like him.

The Heather Small collab is also amazing. "I'm a girl and you're a guy-uy-uy" "YES IT'S TRUE!!!"

Tom Jones International might actually trump Carnival Girl and I Can Feel You for the CAREER KILLAH AWARD of the 2000s.

He was encouraged by Chicane to purposefully not sound like himself during the Stoned In Love verses.

According to Manics producer Dave Eringa, the session for Reload with Jones and James Dean Bradfield was basically a shouting contest.

But that's what makes Nina so iconic :disco:

My dearest Iguana, if the bar for 'iconic' is nowadays set at 'being bored and disinterested in one's workplace whilst strange-looking old men SCREECH and BELLOW in the background' then I look forward to my impending CANONISATION when we next meet. x

My dearest Iguana, if the bar for 'iconic' is nowadays set at 'being bored and disinterested in one's workplace whilst strange-looking old men SCREECH and BELLOW in the background' then I look forward to my impending CANONISATION when we next meet. x

Whilst I appreciate the term is bandied about too easily in general, as IF Nina Persson annd her disaffected delivery isn’t the very DEFINITION of iconic.

SIT DOWN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom