Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LTZ

User
I’ve been obsessed with this last week. Why wasn’t she a bigger star outside of Germany and Sweden ? The Power of Love was huge in the UK and then she disappeared.

I loved the comeback album, but there just isn't much material elsewhere that I like. Maybe they should have pushed for more dance material a la I Can't Say No to revive her in the 90s, but I find what she recorded to be quite bland as a whole. I did think it strange her signature hit wasn't bigger in the US - totally left the door open for Dion of course.

Her version of The Power Of Love is by far the best, perfect with those icy synths., although it’s not my favorite song by a mile. I’ve discovered the first album recently and there are some brilliant things

I always found "I Come Undone" quite wonderful, wish it would have made more of a dent in the UK charts than stalling in the lower 90-100 range.

Funnily enough I discovered a duet with Elton John recently that I didn’t know existed and it’s FABULOUS!

Reactions: LTZ
I’ve been obsessed with this last week. Why wasn’t she a bigger star outside of Germany and Sweden ? The Power of Love was huge in the UK and then she disappeared.

The first album was top 10 in the UK and stuck around for several months and the second one was top 40 but yeah they didn’t capitalise much on the big number one. I’m not sure how much UK promo she would’ve done.

"Destiny", the follow-up to "Power of Love" (and in the UK, the re-release of "Ring of Ice") did well in the German charts (it charted better there than "The Power of Love"!) as well as the Swedish charts but made no impact in the UK. I assume she or her record label just decided to pursue promoting her in the German and Nordic markets instead of trying to find something else in the UK.

Her weird twitchy head movements and her love interest appearing to fling himself in front of a very slow-moving vehicle were another staple of my VH1 Classics sponsored gay upbringing.

It’s been mentioned many times before, but the late Laura Branigan singing it in the manner of a born again Christian attempting to expel a demon from the depths of her bowels really has to be heard to be believed…

Ignore her not remembering to mime and enjoy what I always assumed was the massive impact around the world that Alexandra Burke's All Night Long was having at the time:

If anyone can source the other TV spot she did in the pink dress, please @ me as the thumbs up she gives the host mid-perf continues to send me even just thinking about it. Some of the footage is here in the remix video (which is why I think they pulled it in order to not steal focus from pushing this version to the gays instead).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom